Thursday, August 12, 2010

Roasted vegetables

I've got out of the habit of roasting vegetables (or anything, for that matter) due to having had a broken oven for the first six months of this year. I now have access to a working oven again and, in between my obsessive search for the perfect sourdough, I found time to roast some vegetables. I think the key to this is moderation - the vegetables should not be so small that they burn, but not so big that they will take hours to cook and won't absorb flavours, and there should be enough vegetables in the tray for them to mingle, without there being so many that they don't cook properly. I used carrots, potatoes and pumpkin because that was what I had. This would also work well with parsnips or turnips.


Ingredients
carrots
potatoes
pumpkin
olive oil
thyme
balsamic vinegar
salt
black pepper

Method
Peel the vegetables and cut into chunks. Place in a large baking tray, and dress with plenty of olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, thyme, salt and black pepper. Bake at 200oC for about 1 hour.