One thing that I hadn't expected was to be inspired by the use of unusual ingredients, but after watching a recent episode I decided it was time to reboot my banana bread.
275g self-raising flour
225g caster sugar
1 tin of mango slices, drained and cut into chunks
100ml of coconut milk
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp of chilli sauce
- Set the oven to 180oC and line and grease two loaf tins (20cm x 10cm)
- Mix the flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar very thoroughly.
- Add the mango, coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest and chilli sauce to the butter and sugar, and mix well.
- Fold the flour into the resulting batter, making sure that there are no dry spots.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tins, and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack.