Ingredients (makes slightly over 1 kg, enough to fill three 1 lb jars)
350ml cider vinegar
350g brown sugar
4 tsps minced ginger
1kg cooking apples
1 large onion
good pinch of salt
1 stick of cinnamon
20 coriander seeds
20 allspice berries
- Put the cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds and allspice berries in a muslin bag.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, sultanas, ginger and salt into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, and add the spices in their bag.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, and add to the saucepan.
- Core and peel the apples and pears, chop roughly, add to the saucepan and mix well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to minimum and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, stirring frequently. When the chutney can be parted with a wooden spoon to reveal the bottom of the saucepan, it is ready.
- Transfer to sterilised jars, seal and store for at least 2 weeks (longer if possible).
The apples for this recipe came from Bernie and Bruce, the parents of Sammy and Carmela's friend, Callum. They were knobbly little things (the apples, not Bernie and Bruce) but taste great.