1 large cucumber
6 small spring onions
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- Cut the ends off the cucumber, and cut the cucumber into 3 or 4 segments crosswise.
- Cut each segment lengthwise into slices - neither wafer-thin nor too thick - discarding the outside slice on each side to reduce the amount of cucumber skin. Then cut the pile of slices in half, lengthwise to give you narrow rectangles.
- Peel the garlic cloves, squash with the side of a large knife,then chop.
- Cut the spring onions into 1cm lengths, using all but the very leafiest end.
- In a wok, heat a little vegetable oil until it is smoking, add the garlic and spring onion and fry for a few seconds before addding the cucumber slices.
- Stir-fry until the cucumber pieces are all hot, but taking care not to overcook them. The cucumber should still taste crunchy and fresh.