5 kg goose
- Heat the oven to 240oC (220oC fan).
- Remove the giblets and any loose pads of fat from the bird, dry the outside and inside, and score the skin lightly in a criss-cross pattern. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the goose on a trivet or wire rack, over a large baking tray.
- Cook for 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 190oC (170oC fan), and cook for a further 140 minutes. Baste the bird with some of the fatfrom the baking tray every 30 minutes, and strain the excess fat off into a heatproof bowl. (You will get about 1 litre of fat from your goose. Strain it and keep it for roasting potatoes in.)
- After the goose has been in the oven for 90 minutes, cover with tinfoil to stop it from getting too brown.
- Once the cooking time is complete, remove the goose from the oven, and leave to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Allow 30 minutes per kg of goose (including the 10 minutes of 'hot oven' time in your total).