350g plain flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
100g of butter or margarine
175g soft light brown sugar
1 medium egg
4 tablespoons golden syrup
- Sift the flour, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda together. Add the butter or margarine, cut into small chunks.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it is like fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- Break the egg into a bowl, add the syrup, beat well and stir into the flour.
- Mix well until it comes together into a ball (add a little more syrup if necessary), then knead thoroughly on a floured surface until you have a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into halves, roll out one half until about 5mm thick, cut into shapes with cookie cutters, and place on a baking sheet, lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 190 C for 12 to 15 minutes, and cool on a wire rack.
If you want to paint them, then simply add some food colouring to a little egg yolk, and paint.