seasoning mixture (see below)
- On a large chopping board, place a large sheet of silver foil crosswise, and another one over it lengthwise. Then place the chicken on top.
- Make several cuts in the chicken (to the breast, back and legs) to allow the flavours of your seasoning to penetrate the meat.
- Rub the chicken all over with your seasoning mixture (see below).
- Close the foil over the chicken, and wrap it in another layer of foil before placing the chicken parcel breast upwards in a roasting tray.
- Place the chicken in the oven and turn it on at 150°C.
- Cook for at least 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes before carving and serving. The legs and wings are best eaten with your fingers.
Whatever you do, resist the temptation to uncover the chicken for the last 20 minutes or so to brown the chicken, as you will undo all your hard work and dry out the white meat.
You can season this with just about anything. Because the chicken is wrapped in foil, it stays moist, so you don’t need to use oil, but you should use plenty of salt to help make the skin nice and crisp. Here are a few suggestions:
- mustard, garlic, salt and pepper
- salt, pepper, rosemary and balsamic vinegar
- a good quality curry powder or spice mix
- ginger, ground coriander, garlic and salt
- lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper