1.35 litres of hot chicken stock
150 ml of white wine
10 g dried porcini
450g fresh Italian sausages
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
150 ml of sieved tomatoes
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
500g arborio rice
freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated Parmesan
- Soak the dried porcini in the hot stock. Remove the skins from the sausages.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, gently melt 50g of the butter, add the skinless sausages and fry slowly, breaking the sausage meat up as you go.
- When the sausage meat has browned, add the onion and garlic and fry gently for another 10 minutes until the onion is golden.
- Add the tomatoes, fennel seeds, thyme and salt, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir thoroughly.
- Remove the porcini from the stock and add them to the rice.
- Add a few ladlefuls of the stock and the glass of white wine to the rice, and stir gently until the liquid is almost absorbed.
- On a low heat, add the rest of the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring while you cook, until the rice is tender but not mushy. (This should take about 20 to 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add the remaining butter, stir well, cover and leave to sit for 2 minutes. Serve sprinkled with black pepper and Parmesan.