Sunday, February 17, 2013

Marinated olives

I'm not sure what Spanish food I miss the most now that we are living in Scotland, but I think  olives would definitely make any list. I can't get hold of fresh olives here, but I can get hold of barrels of salted Greek ones, and these make a good alternative for marinating at home. After some trial and error, me and Sammy decided that 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar was about as close as we could get to the delicious verdiales we used to buy at the market in Cadiz.



Ingredients
2kg salted olives
2 litres of boiling water
0.5 litres of white wine vinegar
2 tbsps dried oregano
1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
virgin olive oil

Method
Mix the water and the vinegar. Drain but do not rinse the olives, then transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle with plenty of oregano, add the garlic, mix well, and transfer to large, sterilised jars. Cover with the water and vinegar mixture, top up with olive oil to seal, then close the jars with lids. Leave for a few days to allow the flavours to influse.

No comments: