The other day, Gemma and the kids came back from Mellis cheese shop and I found the answer: cheese! Doing my best Wallace and Grommit impression, I ordered the kids to bring out the crackers and tried slices of pickled pear with durrus, taleggio and some blue stilton.
1 tsps black peppercorns
1 tsp allspice berries
2 cinnamon sticks
500g white wine vinegar
250g caster sugar
1 kg small pears
- Sterilize four 500g jars.
- Zest the lemon, and combine the lemon zest, cloves, pepercorns, allspice berries and cinnamon in a saucepan with the vinegar and sugar.
- Peel, and quarter the pears and remove the fibrous cores.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, simmer gently and stir well until all of the sugar has dissolved, then add the pears and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the pears from the liquid with a slotted spoon, and transfer to the sterilized jars.
- Continue to simmer the liquid uncovered for another 15 minutes or so, then pour over the pears and seal.