Sunday, July 31, 2011

Veggie box

I had a brief spell of having a veggie box delivered a long time ago, but gave up bcause the quality wasn't up to scratch. The final straw, I think, were some carrots with an inedible, fibrous 'core'. However, back in Edinburgh I decided to give East Coast Organics a go. We've only had a couple of boxes, but I'm already impressed by the quality and variety. I particularly like getting small quantities of various different types of vegetable, so that I don't find myself suddenly swamped with 2 kg of celeriac, or more fennel than I know what to do with.


So far, I've been rediscovering the joys of sliced mushrooms in my salad, have perked up some saag aloo with a little fennel, and made some really good turnip and potato soup, which got a nice peppery kick and a beautiful green shade from the addition of turnip greens and a bit of chard.

No comments: