Friday, June 17, 2011

Orange and cinnamon scones

My daughter, Carmela, is a very independent 7-year-old, and this week she has exercised her autonomy by making pancakes with chocolate on a daily basis. This is great, but has had a devastating effect on our chocolate supplies. As a result, when I set out to make chocolate scones yesterday, I realised that we were all out of the brown stuff. My usual alternative is raisins, but there were none of them either, and the third option - plain - was ruled out by my son, Sammy. So I scratched my head, opened the fridge and saw a big bag of oranges staring back at me, and thought "Why not?"


Ingredients (makes 8 scones)
300g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
85 g caster sugar
75 g butter
160g milk
zest of 1 orange

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200oC. Measure the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar into a large bowl, mix well, add the butter and rub together lightly between your fingertips until it has the texture of breadcrumbs.
  2. Add the milk and orange zest, mix well until it comes together, tip onto a well-floured surface and divide into 8 pieces. Roughly shape each piece into a ball, place on a greased baking tray and bake for 12 minutes.

No comments: