Friday, March 18, 2011

Pork ribs with chilli and ginger (pressure cooker version)

I got market inspiration the other day, and after clam and potato stew, and rabbit dhansak I thought I would try to pressure cook some spare ribs. I wanted this to be really simple and quick, with just a couple of clear, strong flavours.



Ingredients
1 kg pork ribs (cut into small pieces, if possible)
2 tsps chilli powder
2 tsps ginger powder
1 tsp salt
100 ml chicken stock
100 ml red wine
vegetable oil

Method
  1. Mix the chilli, ginger and salt together, rub into the ribs and leave to sit in the fridge for anything between 1 hour and 1 day.
  2. Heat a little vegetable oil in an open pressure cooker, add the ribs and fry for a couple of minutes until browned.
  3. Add the stock and the wine, bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of minutes uncovered to release the alcohol.
  4. Put the lid on the pressure cooker, bring to full pressure, turn heat to minimum and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool slowly.
  5. You can serve the ribs straight from the pot, or if you want that 'sticky ribs' effect you can bake them in an oven dish.

Hip pot
I'm not a great recipe follower, but even without following someone else's instructions word for word, I still draw heavily on other people's expertise and inspiration. There is a brilliant site I have mentioned before called hip pressure cooking, which,  in addition to being a wonderful source of information about all things pressure pot related, is a constant reminder that cooking is all about finding new combinations and new ways of performing old tricks. I couldn't find a spare rib recipe on the site, so I dedicate this to Laura at hip pressure cooking.

No comments: