Monday, January 24, 2011

Chicken with preserved lemons and olives

Although I have plenty of cookery books, I'm not a big recipe follower. However, I have a big soft spot for Claudia Roden, and my feelings grew even fonder this afternoon when I came across this recipe. We have some friends coming round for supper, and I was planning on making pollo al ajillo. Then I spotted my preserved lemons and thought I would see if Claudia had a recipe for them. Not only that, but her recipe also included olives, and I couldn't resist the opportunity of cooking my chicken with some of my home-preserved lemons and my olives, instantly transforming me into some kind of Moroccan domestic god.


Ingredients
1 whole chicken, jointed
2 teaspoons of fresh ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of saffron-coloured powder (or some drops of yellow food colouring)
1/2 preserved lemon
100g green olives
chicken stock or water

Method
  1. Rinse the lemon and cut into large pieces. If your olives are salty (mine, of course, are not!) then rinse them.
  2. Put all the ingredients into the pot. Add just enough chicken stock or water to cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a minimum, cover and cook for about an hour until the chicken is nice and tender.

I love the simplicity of this - just bung it all into the pot and cook it until it's done. My poor reading skills made it even more simple, as I inadvertently omitted garlic, onion and fresh herbs!

2 comments:

Madalen Goiria said...

Alas, photos again!!. Great. What is Claudia's language? Do you mean English reading among yur pour reading skills?. I can see my ortographic errors are growing every month, do you think it´s got to do with poor memory?. Could produce some recipe por food to improve memory?.I would aprreciate that. Take care.

Tim in the Kitchen said...

Claudia Roden writes in English - she is of Egyptian Jewish origin. This recipe comes from her Mediterranean Food, produced to accompany a BBC series back in the 1980s I think. She also wrote the wonderful The Book of Jewish Food, perhaps my favourite cookery book of all. It has a lot of Sephardic recipes in it from across North Africa, Italy, the Balkans etc, and I'm constantly struck by similarities between dishes she has and Spanish staples.