Thursday, November 5, 2009

Super lager

I was trying to think of a way of shoehorning this into a piece with a recipe in it, but in the end I decided it merited an entry of its own.

I don't know if anyone remembers the great Tennent's "Japanese style lager" advert from back in the 1990s (or before?). At the time, Japanese lagers were all the rage. (I have to admit I had a weakness for Saporro, which was sold in a neat can which looked like a metal beer barrel.) I had always assumed this was a piece of self-mocking fiction, but have now realised that this really reflected Tennent's desire to rebrand themselves. They may not have managed it in Tokyo, but they seem to have done the trick in Italy. I spotted this bottle of Tennent's:












... in the company of this roast pig ...




























There's something very amusing about the idea that sophisticated Italian beer connoisseurs are unknowingly sharing their tipple with Scottish tramps. And something slightly chastening about the thought that my liking for Saporro may well have put me in the drinking company of Japanese down-and-outs.

No comments: